Monday, June 8, 2009

Ghandi Does It Again!



And yet again, Mohandas K. Gandhi posthumously provides inspiration to another soul.

Today marks both the 30th day from my graduation from the University of Georgia with an A.B. in Chinese Language and Literature as well as day one of my connection to the world of blog. Forgive me if my blog lacks the finesse of a the more seasoned blogging masses.

Gandhi is one man with whom I have been genuinely fascinated for about a year, compliments of Dr. Sita Raman, and whose idea now serves as the title and the basis for my blog.

Satyagraha: Insistence upon truth, steadfast gripping to truth (Brown 76).

As this is my first post, I feel that it must be accompanied by a note on the intentions of this blog:

Note: As I embark upon a possible future career in Advertising/Marketing/Copy Writing etc., I feel it is imperative that I stretch my creative writing muscles, which have been severely atrophied due to a four year flood of analytical/scholarly writing assignments. The creative implement, herein referred to as THE BLOG, will provide such necessary therapy to the atrophied region. At no time shall THE BLOG stray from a steadfast gripping to the truth, while it may, on occasion, when deemed necessary by the writer, herein referred to as me, emily brown (lower case because it looks nicer and less oppressive), wander into completely silly and/or quasi-professional topics for discussion.

I keep this caution from Gandhi from his An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth. in mind as I close my first post:

"I now realize that a public worker should not make statements of which he has not made sure. Above all, a votary of truth must exercise the greatest caution. To allow a man to believe a thing which one has not fully verified is to compromise truth."(298)

Works cited

Brown, Joe David and the Editors of LIFE, LIFE World Library:India. New York: TIME Incorporated. 1961.

Gandhi, Mohandas K. An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth.Boston: Beacon, 1927

4 comments:

  1. "[Satyagraha] is a force that works silently and apparently slowly. In reality, there is no force in the world that is so direct or so swift in working." - I've been reading Gandhi The Man: The Story of His Transformation by Eknath Easwaran. I love what you've done with the place: this was the design I used for my blog at first, but then I changed it for silly reasons. Good luck with the blog, I look forward to your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Becky, that is beautiful wallpaper! Did you design these walls yourself? I love how you've unified several individual frames into a collective example of wall art. I also could not agree with you more about using a decorative [moldingto create boundaries and define a space. When I was attempting to rein in my 17 foot living room ceilings in an effort of creating a cozier, less cathedral like feeling, I used a smart crown molding at the nine foot point to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Becky, that is beautiful wallpaper! Did you design these walls yourself? I love how you've unified several individual frames into a collective example of wall art. I also could not agree with you more about using a decorative molding to create boundaries and define a space. When I was attempting to rein in my 17 foot living room ceiling in an effort to create a cozier space, I used an attractive crown molding at the nine foot point to do so.

    ReplyDelete