Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hunger Eats At Me

Lately I have been feeling less than inspired about the food I'm eating. It has been less about enjoying what I'm eating and more I just need to meet this basic requirement and get rid of the pangs. Although it may seem contrary to say so, my lack of enthusiasm is not to be confused with laziness. Except for the occasional meal out, I do cook for myself more or less from scratch minimizing pre-fab (take that Sandra Lee) and maximizing the fresh. BUT It seems there is a lack of fresh going on in the (affordable) culinary world!

Does it strike anyone else as strange that the more actual food that fills our cabinets and refrigerators and the fewer the preservatives, chemicals, and dyes, the more expensive? Yes, I understand the basic laws of supply and demand, and make it cheaper, sell more.. and so on and so forth. But is it too much to ask for Vlasic to remove yellow 3 from their product? I'd still buy it if it looked a little less vivid in the jar. Is it too much to ask for fewer chemicals and more food? I think not.

Last night, my stomach just was not having any of this nonsense. I needed something fresh, something real. Last night's dinner:

  • Salad: head of romaine, mixed greens (avoid bagged salad), cucumber, carrot, red onion, green pepper, Chickpeas (rinsed), Naturally Fresh Ginger Dressing
  • Pineapple: Freshly cut by myself, surprisingly easy to do.
  • Cantaloupe: Also freshly cut by myself.
  • Baked sweet potato: Add a little bit of cinnamon, it's very good for you.
  • Toast: My favorite food. Sourdough french baguette toast.
And there you have it. Fresh and satisfying. I felt a lot less disgusting about this selection than I did after a recent burger and fries I had out.

In light of this post, this Saturday, I foresee a trip to the local farmer's market. Yes, I will have to sacrifice my Saturday morning sleep in, but it's all for the greater good. Be a trooper go see your local farmers this weekend too. That Taco Bell might seem like a good idea now, but after you eat it, you'll realize once again, that is a terrible idea. I know I always do.

Happy eating! Demand fresh.

2 comments:

  1. So inspiring! And so true about fresh food being more expensive and a little more intimidating since it actually takes time (gasp!) to cut up veggies or scoop out cantaloupe seeds. But it's so worth it, in my opinion. Maybe I can come with you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The least expensive way to get fresh organic food is to grow it yourself. If that isn't your thing or you don't have time try seeking out a CSA (Consumer supported agriculture) or co-op in your area.

    There are some great sites for locating CSAs online.

    ReplyDelete